Tuesday, January 19, 2010

'Tis the season!

In sunday school this week we spent some time talking about the 2nd chapter of Ephesians. Our pastor is preaching a sermon series on Ephesians and so our class is following up the sermon with discussion of our own. We have a small, tight-knit group in sunday school. We do a lot of sharing together. All of us have had our struggles at one time or another over the past year. We support each other, encourage each other, and sometimes just gripe to each other. We don't always get a whole lot of any particular lesson done, but it's not a bad thing. We're a family and we enjoy it.

So, this week the congregation was asked in the sermon to consider two questions. Have you experienced new life in Christ; have you been changed? Secondly, how are you working on God's behalf, in partnership with Him, to extend the family of God? As we talked about the first question, we found a common theme. We felt like we have times when we feel like we have a new life in Christ, like we have been changed and our whole outlook is different. But, then there are the times when we struggle, when we are stuck in a rut and see no end in sight.

My husband and I have been in one of these ruts for awhile. Since leaving my job last January to finish my master's degree, we have struggled. The first 6 months went okay. But, you know how it is when you have a plan in mind and the plan doesn't pan out like you thought it would. We had anticipated that I would be back to work by August or September, after I had graduated. Well, here it is, January, and I am working part-time, but far from the full-time salary I was earning last January. This has created financial stresses that weigh us down.

So, as we talked in class about how this has taken a toll on our spirits, I found myself using the words of a friend. My friend used to say to me "This is just the season I'm in." Well, on the drive home as I talked with my husband about our current situation and how it has affected our spirits, it came up again, "it's just a season we are going through".


I got to thinking about that. Now, I claim to be a New Yorker. Not by birth, just by memories. Ages 2 to 12 spent in New York state, the formative years. And being a New Yorker, a yankee, something that I frequently tell people that I miss are the seasons. All 4 of them! Down here in the south, we get such short springs and falls. My sister, who lives in New Hampshire, was visiting last April and went out for a run. Coming from such cold weather back home, she remarked after her run that she'd be out running every day if her weather was like this. I laughed at her, pointing out that in just 3 short weeks, that nice spring weather would be hitting 85 and 90 degrees. And pretty soon, we'd be miserable outside and living in our air conditioned homes and cars. That's what I hate about our summers here, too dang hot for too long!!

But, that's when it hit me. For a time, I love that hot weather. For a time, it feels awesome and I get excited about going swimming and outdoor picnics. You see, what I love about having 4 distinct seasons, is that there is something great about every season. There is beauty in every season. During the summer it is swimming and picnics. During the fall it's the beauty of the leaves and pumpkins and wooly bears. During the winter it is the the fresh blanket of snow and the 4 cardinals sitting in the bushes out my window. And during the spring it is the flowers, lightening bugs, and baby bunnies.

Yes, there is beauty in every season. Then it starts to get old. The days just become long and hot, too hot. The leaves fall and everything just looks dead and barren. The snow turns to slush and gets dirty and ugly. The spring rains that bring new life leaves the dog muddy and sends footprints through the house.

So, what are we to do when we have reached the point that we're still in the season but no longer happy to be there? What are we to do when we are in that rut and see no end in sight? We wait. We wait patiently and we have faith. For, in Ezekial 35:26 it tells us "I will bless them and the places surrounding my hill. I will send down showers in season; there will be showers of blessing." And while we wait, ask yourself that second question, "How are you working on His behalf, in partnership with Him, to extend the family of God?" This is an important question. It's important because it tells us in Eph. 2:10 "For we are what he has made us, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand to be our way of life." Did you catch that? Did you ever think about it like that? God has prepared the good works ahead of time that He's waiting for me to do. They are out there, waiting to be noticed. So, while you wait, you take your eyes off of the dry dead grass, off of the lifeless trees, off of the dirty slush, and off of the mud and rainclouds and you start looking for the good works. Because they are in every season. And when we are focused on the good works that need to be done, the season changes and the showers of blessing come.

No comments:

Post a Comment